BATON ROUGE (AP) — A federal investigation revealed last year that authorities in a rural Louisiana parish routinely used illegal "investigative holds" to arrest hundreds of people for questioning, secretly keeping them jailed for days on nothing more than a "hunch." But a federal judge's ruling could preclude most of these people from getting any class-action compensation for their ordeals. In a court filing last Friday, U.S. Magistrate Judge Patrick Hanna recommended dismissing three people's claims because they were freed from jail more than a year before their lawyers sued the city of Ville Platte and Evangeline Parish Sheriff's Office over the arrests. A district court judge must decide whether to adopt Hanna's recommendations. Plaintiffs' lawyers argued that a one-year statute of limitations shouldn't apply in this case because people were told to keep silent. And these unconstitutional arrests in Evangeline Parish were a "regular part of criminal investigations" for more than two decades, the Justice Department said in a December 2016 report. People often were strip-searched, held in cells without beds, toilets or showers and detained for at least three days — sometimes much longer — without getting a chance to talk to loved ones or contest their arrests, the department's report says. Detectives told federal investigators they used these investigative holds when they didn't have sufficient grounds for an arrest but had a "hunch" or "feeling" that somebody may be involved in criminal activity. Report: Evangeline sheriff, Ville Platte police held people in jail cells without cause in 'disturbing' pattern The U.S. Department of Justice in a report released Monday alleges the Evangeline Parish Sheriff's Office and the Ville Platte Police Departme… One woman told federal investigators that police detained her and her family in 2014 after they went grocery shopping and may have witnessed an armed robbery and shooting. The woman wasn't a suspect, only a possible witness, but she said she was detained, strip-searched and jailed for roughly nine hours before police questioned her. The Justice Department, which began investigating in April 2015, counted a