Lead defense attorney Andy Savage and former North Charleston officer Michael Slager during a previous trial. Federal prosecutors and defense attorneys will be haggling over an appropriate sentence for ex-police officer Michael Slager for the better part of this week. On April 4, 2015, Slager, then an officer with the North Charleston Police Department, shot an unarmed Walter Scott in the back five times following a traffic stop. Eyewitness video showed Scott running away from Slager before he was killed. In early May, Slager pled guilty to a federal civil rights violation charge in a plea bargain that allowed him to bypass a do-over of the 2016 state trial that ended in a hung jury. Now, attorneys from the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division and Andy Savage, Slager's defense attorney, are going over testimonies and evidence in an effort to influence Slager's punishment. The sentencing hearing convened at around 10 a.m. Monday morning. The civil rights charge carries a maximum sentence of life in prison, but experts presume the actual sentence will be somewhere between five and 20 years. Prosecutor Jared Fishman asked that Judge Norton consider the charges that led to this point. "It is the government's position that the killing of Walter Scott constitutes second degree murder," Fishman said. "The planting of the taser next to Scott’s body, following his death, should be considered when looking at the obstruction of justice." Defense attorney Andy Savage pointed to Slager's training in the North Charleston Police Department during his arguments to Judge Norton in favor of a lower sentence. "Michael was very compliant with the instructions of his department," Savage said. He often led with accomplishing most stops. He received a reward for having the highest effective traffic stops." Savage also asked the judge to consider Slager's time served in solitary confinement and the conditions of the food in jail. Video shows officer Michael Slager open fire on Walter Scott Witnesses called in by the prosecution Monday morning include Feidin Santana, who recorded the eyewitness video that helped propel the case to national attention, and SLED Lt.