The Los Angeles City Council voted Friday to back a $198.5-million financial aid package for a high-profile downtown hotel project that has been in the works for more than a decade.
On a 12-0 vote, the council agreed to provide a combination of subsidies and loans to Related Cos., which is seeking to build two towers — one 38 stories, the other 16 — across from Walt Disney Concert Hall.
The council’s proposal would allow Related to keep nearly half of the $396.9 million in tax revenue that would be generated for the city by the project over 25 years. That money would normally flow into the general fund, which pays for police, firefighters and other city services.
See the most-read stories this hour >>
City officials calculated the present-day value of the financial aid at up to $66.6 million, since the value of a dollar is expected to steadily decline over 25 years. That money is expected to cover about half of the project’s financial gap, according to city analysts.
The financial aid plan was approved without any discussion by council members.
The Grand Avenue project is expected to create 1,914 full-time jobs and 3,597 temporary construction jobs. In addition to a 305-room Equinox hotel, the development would offer 301 apartments, 128 condominium units and various stores and restaurants.
Construction is expected to begin by the end of 2017.
Once a den of prostitution and drugs, the Cecil Hotel in downtown L.A. is set to undergo a $100-million renovation
Downtown punk club the Smell launches $1.4-million GoFundMe campaign to relocate
How much house does $930,000 buy around downtown and central L.A.?
Relax L.A. council backs $198.5 million in financial aid for downtown hotel project stories
As the Rams prepare for their return to Los Angeles on Saturday with a preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys, L.A. city officials are scrambling to figure out who will pay for the substantial police presence required at a National Football League game.
Lawyers representing the mother of a 14-year-old boy who was shot and killed by police in Boyle Heights are calling on the LAPD to release all videos, photographs and other evidence of the shooting.
Health officials in Los Angeles and Orange counties are racing to vaccinate gay men for meningitis, as a growing outbreak in the region appears to be hitting them particularly hard.
Use-of-force incidents at Los Angeles County juvenile halls have increased in recent months, but probation officials say it’s unclear what’s behind the rise.
A 50-year-old crane worker was injured on the job in downtown Los Angeles and had to be airlifted from his 270-foot perch, fire officials said Thursday.
Christopher Evans Hubbart holed up inside his small home in the desert outside Palmdale and almost never left. He knew his neighbors hated him.
L.A. County supervisors voted Tuesday to approve the first stage of a major planned development in Koreatown, including a community center for which neighborhood activists had lobbied heavily.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department acknowledged Tuesday that a man who was shot and killed by a deputy in Compton last month was not connected to a carjacking that led to the shooting, as it had reported earlier.
The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office has declined to file felony charges against actor Tom Sizemore following his arrest last month on suspicion of assaulting his girlfriend.
The alleged bribes and kickbacks that prosecutors said flowed like honey between government officials at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and people who did business at the venerable stadium exceeded $2 million — cash that belonged to the taxpayers.