Photo: Kyle Watkins (L) was "off his head" Tyson Egan (R) said and had threatened to shoot him. (Supplied/Facebook) A north coast man accused of throwing a fatal punch that killed his best friend on a night out in Coffs Harbour has broken down while addressing the victim's parents in court. Tyson Egan, 27, is charged with the manslaughter of Kyle Watkins, 26, from Ulmarra after he punched him during an argument while the pair were out celebrating a friend's birthday in October 2015. After being hit, Mr Watkins fell back onto a gutter and died in hospital several days later from severe head injuries. Mr Egan today admitted to throwing a single punch and hitting Mr Watkins in the face but he said he did so in self-defence during an argument where he described Mr Watkins as "out of control". He then turned to the Mr Watkin's parents who were sitting in the gallery and began to sob. "I want you to know about how sorry I am about what happened to Kyle that night," he said. "I just don't want you to think I wanted to hurt him, I loved him." Earlier the court heard from witnesses who said Mr Watkins had been having trouble with his girlfriend and left the pub where the group of friends had been drinking and allegedly hit a car that was parked on the street. Mr Egan said Mr Watkins threw several punches at him after he had tried to calm him down. "He was totally off his head," he said. Photo: Tyson Egan (L) is on trial for manslaughter for allegedly delivering a fatal punch to his friend Kyle Watkins (centre). (Facebook: Kyle Watkins) "At that point we had each other by the shirt and he said 'I'll f***ing shoot you'. "I said 'just f*** off home if you're going to be like this'. "I punched Kyle with my right hand. "All I wanted to do was to get him to stop punching me." Some members of Mr Watkin's family became visibly upset and had to leave the court as Mr Egan described hearing a loud thud when he saw Mr Watkins fall back and hit his head on the ground. Defendant lied to police and shifted blame, prosecution said Under cross-examination Mr Egan also admitted that he had lied to police soon after the incident when he claimed that an unknown assailant had punched